Saturday 10 March 2012

The colourful market in St-Leu/ le marche de St-Leu, Reunion

Every time I am in a new place/city/country I love to go to the local (fresh food) market...In countries like France and its overseas teritorries the market visit is at the same time gourmet/ nature-discovering&people-meeting event! One can learn a lot about the way people live (and eat) when visiting the local market... During our vacation in Reunion island we went to the weekly market (every Saturday from 6am till 1pm) in the cute and cozy village St-Leu, where we stayed for around a week. Even if we went to the market around 7.30 am, the outside air was already very sticky and heavy (extremely hight air humidity)...
However I really enjoyed the bright colours of all local and exotic fruits. I have spotted some unknown to me veggies and even bought one new for me fruit, (tastewise between a melon and strawberry). The home-made soap stand was a great find too. All soaps were produced with local eteric oil and there were some yummy smelling products like choco-mint-soap or orange-lemongrass...
We found also forest mushroom, which we prepared later this day with rice in one delicious risotto!

7 comments:

FilipBlog said...

I also like visiting local markets. I am surprised you didn't buy such a hand bag.

Greetings,
Filip

Barb said...

Jana - At first I thought the mushrooms were candy! Those soaps look and sound heavenly. I love markets because there is such freshness and color - I always shop with my camera.

AVCr8teur said...

It is fun to discover what locals eat and sell. With the choco-mint soaps, I don't know to wash with it or eat it. :)

Zenserly said...

such colorful things! those bags are so pretty!

betchai said...

i love to learn about locals too, and oftentimes, market and foods. beautiful pictures, Jana.

papillon said...

These lovely pictures with these exotic and colurful fruits creates so much desire...and so much hungry to the paradise.
J+C

Anonymous said...

Wat een kleurrijke serie, dit is echt genieten! Groetjes Cristien.