Wednesday 9 January 2013

Bangkok's biggest fresh market: Klong Toey market, part 2

... I had to simply bring you one more time to the Klong Toey market :-) It was such an overwhelming experience that I have decided to show you here few more glimpses from the market life...Of course we have seen few stands selling unusual stuff: such as insects (first picture), or jumping tiny shrimps (second shot), or live frogs (few pics down). With our guide from the cooking workshop we have also learned that Thai people use nature for their colouring agents as you can see on the third picture, green liquid colour made from plant leave. Same goes for all of the other flashy colours (mostly used in desserts): as pink, orange, purple, etc...
Bangkok Klong-Toye-Market
Bangkok Klong-Toye-Market 
Fish and seafood is a major part from Thai cuisine and everyday life too. At Klong Toey one could find anything from still alive fishes, dried seafood (fishes, squids or shrimps) up to grilled and ready to eat as the grilled carfishes on the top!
Bangkok Klong-Toye-Market 
Our guide gave us to try some fresh Thai peas to try, they were yummy.
Bangkok Klong-Toye-Market
Bangkok Klong-Toye-Market
Bangkok Klong-Toye-Market
Shopping Bangkok
And of course we could not stand the temptation and did some shopping, just the basic stuff: fresh fruits (local mangoes& mangosteen), fresh spice (peppers, lemongrass) and a bottle of fresh coconut blossom juice...

15 comments:

Lies said...

'k Denk dat mijn voorkeur ook uitgaat naar die héérlijke, kleurrijke verse groenten en fruit, Jana !
Lie(f)s.

Dietmut said...

Jana, het was weer heel oprettig om door de markt te lopen. Bedankt voor je foto's. Mooie inkopen hebben jullie gedaan. Groetjes Dietmut

Barb said...

Jana, I wish I was more adventuresome with food! I love your market photos but can't imagine eating insects and even the grilled catfish (grinning at me) did not encourage my appetite! The fruit and veggies look colorful and fresh - maybe I'll become a vegetarian! You look so pretty in the last photo - a good one! (In answer to your questions the grandsons who commented on your last post are ages 8 & 9.) Also, we'll hope for each other - me for snow and you for ice.

fiziskandarz said...

You lucky devil! You must be having a time of your life there :D Next time you're in the south east asia region, you should visit Malaysia [ south of Thailand ]. Anyway, the 3rd image is my fav! it's called "ikan keli" :)

Kristie said...

I'm afraid I'm not as adventurous as you are. After viewing the first photo, I wouldn't be able to eat anything. Ha

That's a great photo of you! It looks like you are having a great time!

Rosemary said...

I would have chosen the same things as you and left the frogs and locusts etc where they were. I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway.

papillon said...

Hi Jana,

ein Paradies für Dich auf dem Bett mit dem ganzen Gemüse, oder?
Happy Weekend.
J&C

Filip and Kristel said...

What is the best picture? You on the bed with the stuff you bought. Enjoy your weekend.

Greetings,
Filip

Erika said...

I'm jealous of your trip....ihihih....
Nice shots. A big hug dear Jana from Italy.

Koryn said...

So what was your favorite "exotic" food? ;)

Jana said...

@Koryn: I love tom-yum soups,fresh sticky rice,green papaya salad; I am very happy I discovered/tasted finally the fresh jackfruit! and I had for first time in my life the fresh juice from the coconut palm tree flowers...great gourmet adventure!

RIZALENIO said...

Oh spices! Mangoes are yummy. I'm enjoying your trips. :)

Koryn said...

And did you know that coconut juice is good for cleansing too? Looks like your Thai trip turned out to be a gastronomic adventure for you too :)

AVCr8teur said...

You bought one or many of everything! The shopping and eating experience must have been fun and adventurous.

Jana said...

@Koryn: thanks a lot for this info, I knew its healthy for me, but was not aware of this detail; I fell in love with teh fresh lemongrass tea btw...

@Karen: indeed we brought some exotic spices+fruits back in the winter time;